Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Hebrews 1:5-6

Jesus is more worthy than the angels because of His birth, because of the life He led.
God made the angels to worship Him. Jesus is the first, best glory of all creation, just as Adam was the centerpiece of seven days of creating. He became flesh and came down and dwelt among men (the greek word in verse 6 for 'world' is oikoumene, which means the inhabited world or, sometimes, the Roman Empire. See Luke 2:1, 4:5, Acts 17:6, 19:7, Romans 10:18.) and we beheld His glory, full of grace and truth. (John 1:14)
Jesus' birth was according to the will of God because of one act of faith by the humble Mary: "I am the Lord's servant. Let it be unto me as thou hast said!" (Luke 1:38) and the work of the Holy Spirit. You know, it seems funny at first that God should entrust one of the most important events in the history of creation to a young girl.
Gabriel comes to her, an angel of light, who reduced Daniel to a quivering puddle by his very appearance, and it's the angel's greeting that troubles Mary. She is remarkable, without doubt. And the faith she shows is immense: this thing the angel proposes, beyond being completely incomprehensible, will almost certainly get her stoned and will certainly end her chances with her betrothed. Gabriel is proposing a completely different life than the one she had planned, just as God had to Abraham of Haran so many centuries ago. (Genesis 12) And given this choice, she says, "I'll do whatever God asks." From that humble obedience, God brought forth the best miracle of them all.
Jesus wants to work in my life, just as surely as God did in Mary's--it's why He created me. (Ephesians 2:10) What chances does He give me to say, "Let it be just as You say"? How in my life do I need to follow My Lord's words: "Not my will, but Thine be done." May I be so discerning! Far too easy it seems to simply plow through life, working my own choices, making my own decisions, taking accountability for my own actions--when isn't that Christ's job? If He is my Lord and my Captain, then how often must I accept His leadership in my life, both to choose the right way and to take care of my mistakes. He guides me, He leads me, He disciplines me, He loves me--but do I let Him control me? Do I let Him master me? Do I let Him shepherd me? Do I let Him atone for me? Do I let Him cover my sins?
He does... and He must.

I want to see the angel in my life today, that choice God presents to me: trust Him, or not. Do His works, or not. I want to be Mary today: faithful, humble, true. I want to be like that.
With the strength of Christ in my life, I can.

1 Comments:

Blogger Matthew Brown said...

Amen brother. I wish I was as spiritual 'attuned' as you are because lately I have not. It is quite nice that instead of playing WOW, which I might play a little later, that I am reading over your blog on your thoughts of Hebrews.

Keep up the work brother.

Sunday, 12 November, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home