Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Hebrews 5:4-6

Even Jesus didn't get to choose the role He would play in this world.

Don't get me wrong--I mean, He accepted His role. He had the choice to obey God or not to obey God. He chose to be faithful. He chose to take up the cross that God appointed for Him. Jesus deserves the credit for the works He did.
But Jesus didn't choose His own works; God appointed them for Him.

Does that tell you something? It says something to me.

We don't choose what we get to be good at, do we? I think it'd be nice to be good at drawing. I'd love to be able to draw pictures that actually look the way I want them to--but just because I'd like to be good at drawing doesn't make me good at drawing. I can work at drawing and I can improve my skill at drawing, but no matter how much I work on drawing, I'll never be a Michaelangelo or a DaVinci or a Monet. Drawing is not one of the things I'm good at.
That's okay, because there are other things I am good at; and it's that way with everybody, right? Everybody's good at something, everybody's made for something.

It's easy to accept that when we're talking about fixing cars or painting or cooking, but what about our spiritual lives? Sometimes we find it hard to accept that we can be good at some things and not at others.
This is what Paul talks about in I Corinthians 12. Some people are born to be preachers, sharing the word of God with everyone they come into contact with. We see these people talking about God to anybody and everybody, going out into the community, going into the prisons--going everywhere and talking about God to everyone and his brother as if it were the most natural thing in the world.
Other people are born to be teachers, helping Christians to grow and mature in the gospel. Some are born to be singers and songleaders, encouraging others with their song ministry. Some people are born to be shepherds and leaders, watching over the children of God and nurturing them. Some people are given to be servants, meeting the needs of their fellow Christians in a million ways, both little and big.
We all have different gifts and we all have different ways to serve God, chosen by God. I don't have to feel like I'm less of a child of God or less worthy a disciple because I can't go to Africa as a missionary or as a healer. God doesn't want me to feel like less of a Christian because He gave my brother or sister the gift of preaching the Word to others and He didn't give the same gift to me.
God is with us in every situation we find ourselves. If I'm a single father, God is with me. If I'm single and lonely, God is with me. If I'm teaching three bible classes and leading singing in the evening services, God is still with me.

The point is, God gives us gifts and prepares us good works for every day of our lives. (see Ephesians 2:10) Maybe the good works He gives to us are not flashy or impressive. Maybe our brothers and sisters don't even know about our works for God. That doesn't make them unimportant.

If even Jesus had to accept the role in which God placed Him, how much more should I? Once I learn to accept the gifts God has given me, once I agree to let God use these gifts through me for His glory, I'll see the grace He can work through me.
God's good at working grace, even if it's with a mop and broom--isn't it true? In what wonderful ways can He use the gifts He's given me? And will I allow Him to work in my life today?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home